The Hate U Give is a powerful novel by Angie Thomas. An unapologetic look at race based violence in the United States, centred around the aftermath of a police shooting of an unarmed black teenager. Starr is the central character- a teenage girl who navigates the worlds of her hood neighbourhood home and her private school education. After her childhood friend Khalil is shot by a police officer while Starr is in the passenger seat, she has to work out how to find strength to speak out, be a strong witness, and figure out a way to be brave in the face of tragedy.
It's amazing and important and has been topping the NYT bestseller list for about a million weeks. The events in The Hate U Give are an indictment of the crazy times we're living in. If you haven't read it yet then really what are you waiting for. Here are six great quotes:
1. “Brave doesn’t mean you’re not scared, Starr,” she says. “It means you go on even though you’re scared. And you’re doing that.”
2. “I never know which Starr I should be. I can use some slang, but not too much slang, some attitude, but not too much attitude, so I’m not a “sassy black girl.” I have to watch what I say and how I say it, but I can’t sound “white.”
3. “Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right”
4. “People like us in situations like this become hashtags, but they rarely get justice.”
5. “I hope none of them ask about my spring break. They went to Taipei, the Bahamas, Harry Potter World. I stayed in the hood and saw a cop kill my friend.”
6. “That's the hate they're giving us, baby, a system designed against us. That's Thug Life”